Thursday, October 15, 2009

Christmas in October


Why is it as a children's pastor you feel a lot of the Christmas pressure so much earlier than everyone else? With the first signs of Christmas decorations at the dollar store, or the release of the latest Christmas Veggie Tales movie, come familiar carols ringing in your head. Next comes the memories of children throwing hay during manger scenes and crooked halos on cute little heads. It brings you warm fuzzies and a little bit of terror as you remember the long hours, the hair turning grey on your head, and the late nights programming lights to music. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Christmas productions. Love them! They bring back fond memories of being a part of productions as a child. They help focus us on the meaning of the season. It's how we handle the process that can so easily take us far, far away from the true meaning of 'ministry' and 'Christmas' itself.

I was gearing myself up to the prospect of doing a 'Family production' this Christmas at our church. Then several events made me aware of the internal pressure we put on ourselves in children's ministries to live up to expectations at Christmas time. Sometimes it's expectations we put on ourselves. And sometimes it expectations from past traditions, or our own past accomplishments (trying to outdo the performance before). I don't actually need to 'prove' anything to myself any more. And it's changing the way I do everything in ministry. I still believe in excellence. I believe that the arts are an amazing opportunity to show Jesus to the world and that they help make Christmas...FEEL like Christmas. But in the bigger picture of things this year...I'm scaling it back. Not because we couldn't have snow falling on the stage (I might still do that actually), and not because having confetti canons wasn't a GREAT idea when we used them....but, because for this year, for our church, and for me as the person who is running 'the show', "less is more". What we will do will be intentional, held in the community, for the kids...but I won't be allowing it compete for a space on my trophy shelf of accomplishments for the kingdom. Afterall, the kingdom came in a dirty, unpolished stable, and the tune of angels rang clearer than any song choir mics can obtain.

Wow....I feel a burden released. I hear "Silent Night"being sung in my head right this minute.

All is calm.

All is bright.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment