Thursday, April 14, 2011

Serving: No Regrets Mom and Dad

When I was a young'n my parents were die-hard children's ministry volunteers.  They lead the mid-week program, taught in Sunday School and hosted family events before 'family ministry' was even a catch phrase!  I remember my dad going around the church foyer taking chinese food orders on more than one New Year's Eve services. Even my dad knew that New Year's Eve services needed something that was more 'family friendly' than simply singing hymns as the clock struck midnight.  It wasn't always easy being so involved in volunteer ministry as a family of five.  We lived 20 minutes away from the church, and on more than a few occasions my parents found themselves driving out to the church two or three days a week, including twice on a Sunday so we could be in kids choir Sunday nights.  Wow!  When I think about it, it must have been crazy at times!  But my parents loved to serve.  They loved to serve where their kids were involved, and they took pride in being available and willing to serve the Lord in whatever way was most needed.

Lately I've heard a lot in children's ministry circles about making sure we don't ask too much of volunteers and guarding against pulling families to the church several nights a week.  The reason is supposedly for the sake of families, so that people have time at home to simply 'be a family'.  I get it.  I really do.  We need to not abuse people's willingness to serve, at the expense of their families.  However, I also heard a pastor of a very large and successful church say in contrary "Don't police your volunteers".  His view was that we need to teach people to discern for themselves when and how much to be involved and not be the 'Holy Spirit' in people's lives.  God has given different measures of grace and giftedness to individuals and we may very well be quenching talent and passion to serve by setting hard and steadfast limits on involvement.

My parents had no idea when they were dragging my two sisters and I to early set up for Vacation Bible School that they were providing pre-bible college credits to their eldest daughter who would one day be in full-time ministry.  When they stayed late Sunday nights to minister during an altar call they didn't realize that they were teaching their children to rely on the Presence of God not the calendar or the clock to direct their days.  When they brought home crafts to cut and badges to sort, they were showing that service is something you do for the Lord, and not for personal thanks or even jewels in your crown.

My mom and dad weren't perfect volunteers, and I'm sure time has erased most of the frustrations and any stress that was placed on our busy family schedule to make room for serving our local church.  I do know one thing for sure though.  My parents were happiest when they were the most involved in ministering at our family church.  The times they've felt empty and displaced have been during times when their hands were most idle, and their hearts not engaged in doing something to serve the Lord in a way that's connected to God's House.

I vow to live life with no regrets.  When your kids have lived off volunteer pizza and nursery goldfish crackers a few times too much this week...don't sweat it.  You never know what next great leader is being shaped and influenced while in the shadow of you serving the Lord.  We were never neglected for the sake of the ministry, but instead we were blessed to see the joy and sacrifice of serving being fleshed out in our family setting.  That's Family Ministry.  Without serving...it's just another day on the calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment