Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chasing Ants

This spring we were having a little issue with ants taking over the neighbourhood.  For the time being it had helped distract us from the concern that rabbits were taking over and would be soon doubling the population of our subdivision.  Rabbits stay outdoors are cute and cuddly, and keep the children entertained from the living room window.  Ants on our kitchen floors? Not so cute.

It had been a couple of days of eliminating the occasional ant with kleenex and I had already decided I would get my husband to pick up some ant traps or something later on in the week.  However, nothing really prepared me for the take-over that was being plotted in the tiny crevices of my kitchen baseboards while I lay fast asleep in my bed one night.

I woke up earlier than anyone else and had a brilliant idea that I would sit down with a cup of tea and read my Bible, enjoying the silence.  Then I saw them.  At first it was one ant that caught my attention, causing me to get up from my Bible and move toward the kitchen ceramics.  I bent down to end the poor little critters life only to see a tiny little army marching diligently around the parameter of our dining area, under the kitchen table, and soon to be down the hall.  I was no longer the only one who was up early that morning.  Suddenly the scripture "Consider the ant, you sluggard" flashed through my head.  The thought quickly passed as I myself began scurrying to chase ants from one end of the kitchen to the other.  Where were they coming from?  How could I get rid of them?  Was there a home remedy I could look up?  Something safe for the kids to play around?  Chasing the ants led to looking up ant solutions online, which led to me trailing cinnamon around the entire border of the kitchen, which somehow lead to me going downstairs, which reminded me of all the laundry that I should be doing, which caused me to put a load in the washer, which lead to waking up the baby, which ultimately meant so much for morning bible devotions.  I was disappointed with what happened and wanted to blame the ants.  Stupid ants!  How dare they get in the way of my quiet time with God?!  Yet the familiarity of getting caught up in 'chasing' crises was haunting my spirit.  Good intentions sometimes feel like my worst enemy.  As a mom I tend to put everyone elses needs and demands as top priority.  After a day of chasing a runaway toddler and budding ballerina, stopping only to bandage a papercut or change a diaper, I'm left with little time to myself.  Now I've added a full work day to my agenda and I'm realizing quickly the need to set my priorities even higher and keep time with God as well as my family a high priority.  The ants are now gone after three different remedies, but the life lesson remains.  Stop chasing the "ants" that distract me from being who I am in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment